Tuesday, January 11, 2011

18 years old


How did reading the title "18 years old" make you feel? For some, there might have been an emotional response. I've had friends and relatives whose 18 year olds were required to either move out or start paying rent.

Some 18 year olds celebrate the occasion by doing things their parents had prevented for their whole lives up to that point.

It turns out that a person is just about the very same on the day of his 18th birthday as he was the day before. Unschoolers can live toward helping a child stay whole so that 18 is no particular landmark in his life, nor something to be feared or dreaded


The notes above were all new in 2011.
The page closest to it for linking purposes
was written seven years ago:
SandraDodd.com/teen/kirby
photo by Holly Dodd

3 comments:

  1. My son (and oldest child) just turned 18 and he does not have to pay rent or move out. He is welcome to stay here with us for as long as he likes, but I imagine it won't be too much longer. He is ready to spread his wings and leave the nest. He is a great kid and I'm sure he'll be a fine young man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly was ready to leave early, and at 17 she went to live elsewhere a while, with other families. She's home again now, but at every step along the way, there was agreement and love. We helped her get out enough to know whether she wanted to stay away or come back.

    Perhaps that's another good way to look at it. "For as long as he likes," as Tracy said. They don't have to be all in or all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My adult kids, 21 and 24 are my best friends. They are always there for me with kind words or helpful hands, and I freely share with them all the bounty and the occasional burdens of my life. I tried to raise them respectfully and realize I made mistakes along the way that I regret but they are generous in their forgiveness. I would tell anyone that a loving respectful relationship with your children is the greatest gift you can give YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!